-Road rules

All European countries have different road rules and driving requirements; we advise that you consult the following website before departing: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/index.html

This website will also be useful in explaining all the different toll roads and various other road systems and rules you will encounter on your drive across Europe


International Driver’s License

An international driver’s license is compulsory for driving in Italy and outside the E.U; we recommend to have one anyway (around NZ$40 from the AA).

-Breathalyzers for France:

The French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely. So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance. The original official announcement stated that one unused, certified breathalyser must be produced showing the French certification mark NF. Carrying two single-use breathalysers will ensure that if one is used or damaged, you will still have a spare to produce. The breathalyser produced has to be in date – single-use breathalysers normally have a validity of twelve months.

Breathalysers are available from supermarkets and fuel stations.


-Driving in Germany:

If you intend to drive through Germany, please note that most cities will require an Environmental badge; click on the link below for more information:  -http://www.environmental-badge.co.uk/en/environmental-badge.html

You will need to purchase the badge when you first enter a town/city, as to order online you would need your registration certificate which we can only obtain 2 weeks before your pick up date.


-Driving in Portugal:

Portuguese Authorities (Customs) require all customers driving a tax-free Citroen vehicle in Portugal (whether collected in Portugal, or not) to be able to prove that they are not spending more than 90 days in Portugal. This means that you must obtain a GUIA DE CIRCULACAO document on border entry or at a customs office at a major airport or city within Portugal. We recommend that the person named on the order form/contract obtains the GUIA DE CIRCULACAO prior to driving in Portugal. There is a small charge for this document.


NEW !Special information for Switzerland:

Swiss legislation stipulates that each driver arriving in Switzerland must declare themselves at Customs by completing a “15-30″ document (available from Customs offices). This document costs around 25CHF (around NZ$33). We recommend that you complete it at the border or at one of the country’s main Customs offices. Non-compliance with these provisions may lead to substantial Customs penalties.


Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions/queries: 0800 EUROPE (387 673)